Sunday, September 7, 2014

Anchors Aweigh Blog Hop Time!!

I'm honored again to get to participate in another design challenge hosted by the amazing Toltec Jewels.  This time the featured artist is Diana Ptaszynski of Suburban Girl Studio!!  I had the pleasure of meeting Diana her truck show at Ornamentea last year.  (Psst...Diana, please come back!!).

I was really excited to get to play with Diana's anchor beads, and already had my idea in mind before they arrived.  Of course, when they got here, I got straight to work (yeah, no that didn't happen).  I mean, I already had figured out what I want to do, so what's the rush?  Last week, I decided it was time to start creating.  My idea was to create beaded beads, with each one representing a different nautical flag to make a necklace.

Nautical Book from local library
I had a pretty productive first day.  I got two of the beads started and I just needed to stitch them up to form tubes.  So, I called it a night.  Then, the real world interfered with bead fun so I didn't get back to creating until Sunday.  No problem, I still have a week to finish.  

Then, it happened.  I couldn't peyote stitch to save my life.  No matter what I did, I couldn't make anything come out right.  I even pulled out Mastering Beadwork by Carol Cypher to follow along with the directions to figure out what I was doing wrong.  By Wednesday night, I was so frustrated and thought that I wasn't going to have anything to show for this challenge.  Has anyone ever had a mental block like this before?  I'm sure by next week, I'll be able to do this no problem, lol.

Thursday, I decided that I needed a new idea.  I began to think about anchors and what they reminded me of.  Growing up, we had a lake in our neighborhood that I spent so much time in during the spring and summer with my friends.  Naturally, I started to think of my friends and other things we like to do.  Then, it hit me almost immediately.  Friendship bracelets!!!  I made and swapped so many friendship bracelets, but I haven't made one in forever.  So, I dug out my dmc floss and got to work!





I'm so happy that these came out so well!  It was a little strange not to have any other beads in the design, but I think it works.  The thread looks abstractly like a sailboat, so the anchors underneath are just perfect!

Thank you Toltec Jewels for hosting yet again another fun and very challenging hop!

Please check out the other artists who got to create with Diana's anchor beads!  To get some anchors of your own (or other pretties), go to Suburban Girl Beads!



Featured & Honored Artist:        Diana Ptaszynski

Diana's Shop:                           Suburban Girl Beads

Diana's Blogs:                          Suburban Girl Studio
                                                 Art Jewelry Elements

Hostess: TJ                               Jewel School Friends

Bobbie Rafferty                         Beadsong Jewelry

Chris Eisenberg                         Wanderware

Heather Richter                         Desert Jewelry Designs

Michelle McCarthy                    Firefly Design Studio

Kathy Lindemer                         Bay Moon Design

Dini Bruinsma                            Angaza by Changes

Cynthia Machata                       Antiquity Travelers

Kathleen Breeding                     99 Bottles of Beads on the Wall

Linda Younkman                       Lindy's Designs

Robin Reed                                  Artistry HCBD

Marla Gibson                              Spice Box Designs

Gina Hockett                               Freestyle Elements

Renetha Stanziano                      Lamplight Crafts

Marianne Baxter                          Simply Seablime Jewelry        

Christina Miles                             Wings N Scales

Marybeth Rich                            A Few Words from Within the Pines

Shai Williams                              Shaiha's Ramblings

Cheri Reed                                  Creative Designs by Cheri

Monique Urquhart                      A Half-Baked Notion

Jennifer Reno                             Musings of a Crafty Jenny 

Shirley Moore                             Beads and Bread

Tammy Adams                           Paisley Lizard

Melissa Trudinger                       Bead Recipes

Jill Bradley                                  JillyBeads

15 comments:

  1. I think your design is perfect! The sailboat, with anchors aweigh! Love them! Gina H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome design, Jennifer! I agree, the imagery does indeed remind me of a colourful sailboat :) Very original and effective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable earrings. Before I got to the end of your post I was already thinking the knotted thread looked like sails. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've done the weaving with the floss! and such tiny work - holy moly! It gives it a really wonderful look - so nautical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is so so creative. The colors just make the anchors pop! You did a fantastic job and I hope you get your mojo back with your peyote stitch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your first idea was so intriguing, but your earrings came out great. The top part does look like a sailboat, and the colors are perfect. They remind me of my childhood as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic Earrings! They really do remind me of sail boats! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You also like to take a challenge by the horns and dream big! Excellent concept of stitching flags from beads! I have done the same with numerous projects and remember vividly wanting to bead embroider a snowflake, that turned into a star and then a flower! Oh, well...it's a process and it's worth trying so we learn and grow! It is cute how the colors swirl into the shape of a sail on a boat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is why I dont like to get rid of anything...you never know when you will need it to create something with...LOL Your earrings are so dang cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. See? There was a reason your peyote wasn't working...cause you needed to create a memory! What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was my first thought too, a sailboat (-: I love the idea of the friendship bracelet, you ' translated ' it into this pair of earrings in a very nice way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They really do look like sailboats and I think the colors are all you need to highlight the anchor beads. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so cute!!! Love the color and the texture too! Have a Blessed Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah friendship earrings. I love the originality of your designer earrings.

    ReplyDelete