I'd had many ideas for the links. My original idea was to string sead beads, wrap each link with the beads, and then connect them to make a bracelet. After receiving the links, I decided that I may not be able to connect the links if I seed bead wrapped them. The reason I mention this is that idea led me to thinking about wire wrapping the links. Now, I've never wire wrapped. I mainly use fireline and memory wire, so I thought it would be fun to try a new technique. After I connected some of the links together, here was my first try:
If you ever work with these, you should know two things. First, they aren't the easiest to snap together sometimes, so be sure to have the links arranged how you want them before you connect them. Second, when you try to take them apart, this could happen:
Luckily for me, this was the only link out of the twenty five I received that I broke. After I started over and got to wrapping, I realized that my idea might look better as a necklace than a bracelet. I made two separate sections of links, and then looked though my lampwork glass mix that I had from Firemountain Gems.I decided on beads that matched the wire I used and got some black beads to tie in with the links. Here's my finished piece:
I got some gold ribbon to finish off the necklace and to make it adjustable. I also wire wrapped the ends and added black bicones. What do you think?
I had so much fun doing this! I just want to thank Peggy for hosting this challenge. If you would like to see what the other participants made, all of the blog links are below. After you finish visiting all of the blogs, be sure to go back to The Charm Barn and vote for your favorite! The blog with the most votes gets a $20 certificate to Peggy's store, WillowBranchBeads. I would appreciate the vote! :)




popping by to see what you made from the links :)
ReplyDeleteGlad I'm not the only one who had ideas change part way through.
Good design!
Wow! That's stunning!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteI really love the wire wrapping, great job on your first try! Soooo sorry about the broken link! Your necklace turned out great and it seems like you'll have enough left over to make a matching bracelet :)
ReplyDeleteI can't decide whether to make a matching bracelet or do earrings. I think I might have enough to both. :) It's okay about the link. That one really did not want to be unattached.
DeleteWhat a beautiful necklace! So simple and elegant. The wire really adds a nice touch. I broke one of my links, too. It was the first one I used and I hadn't really thought out how to link them...but I learned quick :P
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised I didn't break more considering how much I took apart after the first try. I'm glad you only broke one.
DeleteGold and black: that is really elegant. The wrapping details are gorgeous, I really love it.
ReplyDeleteAmbra
Thank you so much! The funny thing is, I never really work with black or gold. Now that I have, I will probably do it again.
DeleteI really like your piece. The colors of the beads in the center are great, especially with the wire-wrapping you did on the links. And I like the silk adjustable clasp/end. Weren't they fun to work with?
ReplyDeleteThey were so much fun to work with!
DeleteI really like what you did with the links by adding the wire wrapping... great design choice!
ReplyDeleteYour piece is fabulous!
Thank you!
Deletei love the wire wrapping on the links!!
ReplyDeleteMe too! I'm glad I stuck with it.
DeleteVery nice combination of beads and links!
ReplyDeleteThanks! :)
DeleteLove the colors - very chic.
ReplyDeleteI think so too. Thanks for commenting!
DeleteThe wrapping you did with the gold wire just made it POP! Beautiful job Jenny!
ReplyDelete:) Thanks :)
DeleteIt has a kind of tribal feel, which I hear is growing in popularity right now. Great job putting it all together. I really like the gold tones.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't even thought about a tribal feel, but I guess it does have one. Thanks for saying that. :)
DeleteI just love the look of wrapping the wire with the links. great job.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I liked the wire wrapping on your pieces also. :)
Delete