Saturday, March 16, 2013

It's Holiday Bling Blog Hop Time!

This by far has been my favorite hop to date!  I was paired by with the amazing Sarah of Pookledo.  Our challenge was to pick a holiday in either February or March, and create something inspired by that day.  Sarah and I decided we wanted to pick a fun, unique holiday.  Did you know that February 26th is Tell a Fairy Tale Day?  I didn't, until I found this awesome website.  Now, off to create a Fairy Tale piece.  This shouldn't be too hard . . . .  Note to self: stop thinking that anything shouldn't be too hard.

Immediately, I wanted to do a Snow White piece, probably because of the Once Upon A Time show on ABC.  I thought about that for a couple of days, but for some reason, Little Red Riding Hood kept popping up in my head.  I had many ideas involving the hooded cape, the basket, and the wolf's teeth that were getting a little too complicated to incorporate in one piece.  Next, I moved on to Alice in Wonderland.  I had some ideas about creating a piece about the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, the Cheshire Cat, and the Queen of Hearts.  Then, I got stuck again.  I started to think about the name of the holiday, and wanted to take it literally and try to tell a entire story with one piece.  After many google searches, I stumbled upon The Princess and the Golden Ball.  

I began the piece by creating the pendant.

The beginning of the story

The frog (ceramic pendant by beadfreaky) is lifting the golden ball (Czech glass) out of the lake to the princess (crown).  Eventually, after some turmoil (short version, lol), they fall in love.

The Princess and the Golden Ball Necklace


Sarah was inspired by Sleeping Beauty and created a gorgeous bracelet that I love.  Do you want to see it? You'll need to hop over to her blog to read about it.

I want to thank the wonderful dynamic duo of Marlene Cupo and Shelley Graham Turner for hosting this swap.  You ladies put on quite the party!

Here's the list to all of the amazing ladies taking part in the hop!  Please go check out their creations. :)

28 comments:

  1. What a great holiday - who knew? Love what you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate how so many differnt ideas can float around and thinking oh I can do that it will be easy! Yea right. Your final choice is great, and I can totally see the story of your design. I is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like I go thru this process on every project I take on. You would think I would learn by now, lol. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. That is super cute! It could also be the Frog Prince! That's a piece everyone will ask about while she wears it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lennis! I <3 your finished piece too!

      Delete
  4. Love this story, don't remember it at all. You did a great interpretation of it with each piece of the necklace, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered the story, but not exactly this version. The Grimms Brothers' one is the one I remember hearing as a child. I like the version that I found a lot better. Thanks for visiting Marti!

      Delete
  5. Awesome--a creation that tells the story in its components! Perfect for this Holiday. Great job!!
    Gina H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! So that's where the frog came from. I've just favourited the shop on etsy for my next shoping spree. It's gorgeous!

    And thankyou for such a pretty necklace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is one of my favorites. :) Her stuff is very unique.

      You're welcome! And thank you for such a gorgeous bracelet. <3

      Delete
  7. Great post and such cool pieces. This really was a great hop :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an awesome hop. I can't wait to see what is in store for HBBH4! Thanks for visiting Tammie. :)

      Delete
  8. What a stunning way to tell the story of The Princess and the Golden Ball, sure it has a place of honour in Sarah's jewelry case. Thanks so much for joining us in this Holiday Celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me, Marlene! I had a lot of fun.

      Delete
  9. Wow Jen, you really depicted the whole story in your piece AND made it beautiful all at the same time. You go lady! So impressed with your imagination! AND I just wanted to say...OF COURSE he had to marry her, I mean after all he was in her bed! That wouldn't fly in the kingdom (though we all know about those royals!) hahahaha
    ~ Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. As always dear, you crack me up. Thank you for the compliments, they mean a lot to me. Thanks for being a great hostess!

      Delete
  10. oh man - what a great holiday you guys found! love the necklace and the story it tells!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Your bracelet told a story too! I loved it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Love that your jewelry for 'tell a fairytale ay'.. tells a fairytale! :) And you picked one of my fave stories, to :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. February 26: Tell a Fairy Tale Day -- I am so going to remember this one! How cool a Holiday & such cool jewelry! You did a super fantastic job of telling a fairy tale with your necklace. I adore, adore & LOVE the Beadfreaky frog focal!! so cool. And your symbolism is perfect -- the golden ball, the princess' crown & then the heart! ta-da! Fairy tale jewelry -- brilliant! And Perfect :)

    Happy Hopping, & thanks for the inspiration! I really like this exchange ;)
    TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wonderful compliments. :)

      Delete
  13. Great holiday selection and you did a wonderful job at taking us through the creation process with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a necklace with a good story!

    I’m part of the bead soup party. Looking forward to the reveals. I'm now following you. I have a new blog. Please consider following my jewelry blog. Thanks.
    http://vintagememoriesjewelry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I'm off to visit your blog now. :)

      Delete